My 2011 Reading Challenges

As mentioned in my "Thoughts On: Reading Challenges" post, I'm always down for a good challenge but prefer longer term (read: year-long) efforts. I've found a few that will hopefully fit nicely with my reading habits, yet also push those same boundaries just a bit. Upon the arrival of the New Year I'll add my challenge tracker to the top info bar (just above). So behold, my selections for 2011 challenges (not inclusive of the few GoodReads challenges I might do here and there):

1st in a Series Challenge
hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages

I'm REALLY big on series, and am in the midst of many from various genres. But these days I don't start new series as often as I'd like, so this challenge is a welcome one.
This particular event runs from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011. The name is self-explanatory...you read books that are the first of a series. There are no restrictions on genre, and one needn't be a blogger to participate. There are four different "levels" of possible participation:
  • Series Novice: Read 3 books that are the first in any series.
  • Series Lover: Read 6 books that are the first in any series.
  • Series Expert: Read 12 books that are the first in any series.
  • Series Fanatic: Read 20 books that are the first in any series.
One can list their books in advance or just put them in a wrap up post. Selections can be changed as the mood strikes. If you're interested in doing this challenge yourself, more information can be found HERE (you can join anytime before December 31, 2011).


50 States Challenge
hosted by Tasha at Book Obsessed

This particular challenge has me really excited. I've always wanted to do a tour of my beloved nation, and now I'll get the chance! ^__^ The goal of this challenge is to read books that are set in each of the fifty states. Books can be of any genre and any format (ie. paperback, ebook, audiobook, etc.). But no short stories. Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are fine. One can list their books in advance or list them as they are read. If this challenge interests you, feel free to find more info and sign up HERE.


Historical Romance Challenge
hosted by Danielle at Romance Book Junkies

As a newcomer to historical romance (modernly writ, that is...if that's relevant), I look forward to pushing myself further into the genre. Not that I need much pushing...the handful of HR books that I've read thus far have absolutely enchanted me. I can't wait for more.

This challenge is to read 12 historical romance books from January 1, 2011 - December 31, 2011. Historical fiction is allowed, as long as it contains even a small romantic element (and Danielle can be contacted for clarification on whether a book is eligible).

Note that this challenge also involves monthly giveaways for the participants. ^_^
Full information, including the sign-up page for this challenge, can be found HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alisha,
    Thanks so much for posting about my challenge. I'm really excited as well. I hope you grow to love historical romance as much as I do. =)

    Danielle @ Romance Book Junkies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the longer term challenges. I never seem to complete the shorter ones. I'm joining the 50 States one since I've never done one like it and it sounds fun. Can't wait to see what books you choose!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Challenges

Nonfiction
TBR Pile
Graphic Novels
50 States
(Tracking lists HERE)


My "Read" Shelf:
Alisha's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Awesome Folk!

Proud Member of...

Book Lovers Inc
Parajunkee Design
Award Winning Literature & Book Review Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory
Books Blogs Direcory
Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers

Grab my Badge


My Need to Read